Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Joergen Bondesen Joergen Bondesen is offline

Default Name Sheets in Series

Hi Dave

I will not bet with you, because I will lose. 8-)

This means I can have a sheet for each day in a year (in a file) and this is
very good news for me.

I am really glad you took your time for helping me out of my delusion.

--
Best regards
Joergen Bondesen

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
As far as I can remember, the number of sheets has been limited by your
pc's
resources.

But I bet you're thinking of the tools|options|General tab|sheets in new
workbook.

That dialog has a limit of 255.

Joergen Bondesen wrote:

Hi Dave

Thanks.
I will ajuste my sampel.

I do not recall where I have than number from.
Older version of Excel perhaps?

--
Best regards
Joergen Bondesen

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Is there a reason you stop after 255 sheets?

I don't think I've approached that number, but excel will allow more
than
that
-- if your pc can handle it.

Joergen Bondesen wrote:

Hi JAC

Try below, please.

Option Explicit

Sub newSheet()
Dim ShName As String
ShName = "Database"

AddSheetSheetNamed ShName
End Sub

'----------------------------------------------------------
' Procedure : AddSheetSheetNamed
' Date : 20060312
' Author : Joergen Bondesen
' Modifyed by :
' Purpose : Add a new sheet and name it. If name exist
' add _Digit format 000
' Note :
'----------------------------------------------------------
'
Function AddSheetSheetNamed(ShName As String)
Dim counter As Long
Dim ThisWB As Workbook
Dim NoofSheets As Long
Dim wshExists As Worksheet
Dim ShNameOK As String

counter = 0

'// This WB
Set ThisWB = ThisWorkbook

'// New sheet in this workbook,
NoofSheets = ThisWB.Sheets.Count

If NoofSheets 255 Then
MsgBox "You have 255 sheets, sorry.", vbCritical
End
End If

'//Loop
ShName = Left(ShName, 28)

Do
On Error Resume Next

Set wshExists = Nothing

'// Counter
counter = counter + 1
ShNameOK = ShName & "_" & Format(counter, "000")

Set wshExists = Sheets(ShNameOK)

If wshExists Is Nothing Then _
Sheets.Add().Name = ShNameOK

On Error GoTo 0
Loop Until wshExists Is Nothing

Set ThisWB = Nothing
Set wshExists = Nothing
End Function

--
Best regards
Joergen Bondesen

"Jac" wrote in message
hi,

I have created a MS Excel macro that can help me to insert a new
sheet
and
named it as Database but this macro will delete the Database sheet
if I
run
it again.

So, I would like to create a MS Excel macro which could help me to
name
each
sheet in series. For example, if previously there is a sheet already
named
as
Database1, then the next time, I run the macro it should name the
newly
inserted sheet as Database2.

Could anyone help? cause I have no ideal how to compare the names of
sheets
in a workbook.

Thanking in advance

--