Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Overtype mode

Cool,

1) Lock the cells that you don't want overwritten
2) Protect the sheet.

OR

1)Protect the sheet, with blank cells unlocked and
2) use this change event code to lock any cells that were blank but are no longer blank

Me.Unprotect
Target.Locked = True
Me.Protect
End Sub

Copy the code, right-click the sheet tab, select "View Code" and paste the code into the window that
appears.
Set the blank cells to unlocked (under format, protection tab) and protect the sheet with no
password. (You can add a password if you want....)

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"coolwolf590" wrote in message
Can you permanently disable overtype mode in an Excel 2003 spreadsheet? I
have designed a spreadsheet and it is vital that when a cell is clicked upon,
the cell does not overtype. I know that you can press F2 or double click, but
need the cell or sheet to do this automatically. Possibly a macro or Vb
command? I'm not an expert but am an MCP.
--
CW590