Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Roger Govier Roger Govier is offline

Default Extract all CN='Name' from a Active Directory data-dumped-cell

Hi Luc

I have never used RegExp before and thought I would give this a try.
I get a compile error - User defined type not defined as soon as I try
to run it.

Could you please tell me what I need to do to make it work?

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"PapaDos" wrote in message
In a module:

Function extractUsers(s As String)
Dim re As New RegExp

re.Global = True
re.Pattern = "CN=([^,]+,?)([^;]+;)?"
extractUsers = re.Replace(s, "$1")
End Function

In B2:
=extractUsers(a2)

Luc.

"Festina Lente"

"mateo561" wrote:

One of my Administrator types is dumping information from AD so some
mid-level manager can justify his position and salary (too
sarcastic?? ;-)..
anyway.. AD dumps very verbose information into his cells.

Example: In cell A2 you have...

CN=Daniel ****,OU=Desktops,OU=Users,OU=Executive
Offices,OU=FCC,DC=Sugar,DC=corp;CN=Rich
******,OU=Laptops,OU=Users,OU=Service
Center,OU=FCC,DC=Sugar,DC=corp;CN=Charles ******... and on and on.

(names changed to protect the innocent)

these text stings get very long.. some even hit the character limit
for
cells.. but all that my guy wants are the names of the users, which
of course
are represented after the "CN=" and ends with the next ","

Desired Result: In cell B2 show...
Daniel ****, Rich ******, Charles ******

I can easily pull "Daniel ****" using text functions but I lose it
when I
have then find Rich, and Charles, and Tom, Dick and Harry.. until
somewhere,
someplace it all ends with the LAST name which could be 7 names, 32
names, or
124 names.

So off to the Excel Discussion Groups to nab.. Do'h... 'use' some VBA
from
someone who really knows what they are doing.

I have been searching through your forums, reading VB questions from
the
unwashed masses and checking out the suggestions from the enlightend
ones.
Visited sites like contextures, peltiertech, cpearson and more. I
have tried
to modify some code that was posted both on this forum and others and
learned
alot of good, although ancillary, stuff in the process.

I now post this questions to the world, as I am brain fried, body
tired, mad
at myself for not being smarter (or better looking) and besides, I am
out of
alcohol.

Any help in this issue would be much appreciated and it sure would
make me
look good to those mid-level managers as well. I have used this
forum
numerous times in the past and you folks have always come through to
enlighten my brain and boost my intellect (at least in the eyes of
those
managers).

So thanks in advance and I hope you make me look good yet again!

Version: Excel 2003 SP2