Posted to microsoft.public.word.programming,microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jezebel[_3_] Jezebel[_3_] is offline

Default Add footer automatically

You don't need any VBA to do that. Just a field:

{ createdate \@ "yyyyMMddHHmmss" }

wrote in message
ups.com...
Let me start by saying that I am new to programming VBA Macros, but I'm
learning on the fly and I'll be happy to try out any and all
suggestions. Now, on to the problem.

We're trying to come up with a way of having a unique id number for
every new document created. I think that a good way to do this is to
create templates for word and excel (the two programs we use for
document creation). I'm trying to come up with a macro for the
templates that automatically adds a footer with a trimmed down
time/date stamp upon the first save. By "trimmed down" I mean that
12/04/2006 11:15:32PM would be shortened to 12042006111532. I only
need it to do this the first time a document is saved because if the
time/date updated itself every time the document was used it would
undermine the whole plan for unique document id numbers.

Thanks for your help.
Brett