RagDyer

It's a *not uncommon* issue.

Check out this link:

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt

--
HTH,

RD

"matthewDBS" wrote in message
I have MS Excel 2003 installed on my computer. When I open a new workbook

and
click on any cell, the pointer goes to a white cross or plus symbol. Then

am unable to do anything. I can move the mouse anywhere on the sheet and

it
highlights the cells that the pointer has gone over as if I am selecting a
range/group of cells such as you would if you were going to delete them or
clear contents. I try to right click and nothing happens. I move the

pointer
over the tool bar, it does nothing. I hit <ESC and still nothing. The

only
thing that does anything is going into the task manager and ending the
process. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, ran spyware, installed

updates
for office 2003 and nothing is working to correct the problem. I am back

to a
basic installation of Excel 2003. Yes the computer has been rebooted, i

tried
running excel in safe mode and it did the same thing. I deleted the temp
files. Nothing seems to work. I know it is not the mouse since it works

fine
with all other applications. It has to be some type of setting with Excel

is
my guess. I was not able to find an answer by searching the posts so that

is
why I am posting this question.

Thanks,

Matthew