CLR

Thanks anyway Mark, but I make many, many changes every day, and this
super-computer I'm provided with crashes or locks up 3-4 times every
day.....I save frequently to keep from losing any more work than necessary.
I don't just "save" because sometimes the save gets corrupted and then I lose
both.......so I Save-as and change the name to Rev3 or 4 or whatever each
time.......

I appreciate your suggestion, but maybe someone else might can tell me what
really causes the difference in the save-times, and what I might can do about
it.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Mark Hone" wrote:

Hi CLR,

This is a cop-out but I rarely use 'Save as' myself. Why don't you just use
Windows Explorer and copy the file, then make your changes in the copy.

I'm can't think of a good reason for Save and Save as to give such different
results.

Cheers,

Mark

"CLR" wrote:

Hi All......

I have a 10MB Excel file that will "save" in about 30 seconds. As soon as I
hit the save button, the Disk-activity light starts flashing. But, when I do
a "Save-as" to just change the name, it takes a total of 6 minutes. It
starts out with the Status bar saying "Calculating cells" but it stays at
zero for over 3 minutes, then works it's way up slowly every 15 seconds or so
and when it changes to "Saving, filename" the Disk-activity light starts to
flash and it only takes the normal 30 seconds from that point.......

I do have about 40 sheets, with LOTS of VLOOKUPS, but I don't understand the
difference between the SAVE and the SAVEAS times......

Can anyone please explain, and hopefully tell me what I might can do to cut
down the difference in time?

TIA
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3