Dave Peterson

The way I read the help for that "update remote references" is that it's not
used with excel files.

Update remote references Calculates and updates formulas that include references
to other applications.

BizMark wrote:

I think the key to this one are the settings in

Tools -- Options -- Calculation...

And the tick-boxes
- "Update remote references" and
- "Save external link values".

As I understand it, a workbook that doesn't have the latter one ticked
is forced to read the values from the external link, regardless of
whether 'Update' or 'Don't Update' is selected.

Whether you are asked the question about whether you want to Update or
not doesn't depend on the setting of the latter, but on the former
(i.e. "Update remote references").

If you untick this one, the question won't get asked, but if "Save
external link values" is left unticked you would then get no value at
all in the remotely-linked cells. So your Johnny and Bob may read
#VALUE or #NAME or #REF.

In short, the answer would appear to be, untick "Update"... and tick
"Save external..." on BOTH worksheets.

NOTE: Even though these settings are in Tools -- Options, they are
WORKBOOK-SPECIFIC, not Application-specific

BizMark

--
BizMark

--