Peo Sjoblom

Depending on where a workbook has been created just either add or subtract
the dates with 1462, to subtract, put 1462 in a cell, copy it, select the
dates you need to convert and do editpaste special and select subtract
(select add if you need to add the days) So when you open a workbook with
dates created with the default windows system (1900) then subtract 1462,. if
created on a Mac and opened on a windows add 1462. Unless you formatted the
cell with 1462 as a date prior to copying it you need to reformat the
converted result as dates again

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"dlg1967" wrote:

I am at a loss to explain this one and need help to try to resolve. I have a
workbook that was created on a Macintosh and I put the date September 1, 2004
in a cell. I copy the file to a Windows machine and the date shows up
correctly. On the Windows machine, I open a new workbook and copy the date to
the new workbook. The date now changes to October 30, 2000.

What I have found is that Excel for the Mac has a different number in the
cell (I call it the date offset but do not know what it is really called).
The number in the workbook created on the Mac is 36796, where on Windows the
date has the number of 38231. Since the date showed up correctly in the
workbook created on the Mac when I opened it on Windows, I assume this offset
is stored in the workbook. I created a new spreadsheet in the original
workbook on the Windows machine and the date shows up correctly, so that
proved my theory.

Are these offsets supposed to be different? If not, how can I resolve this.
I have Office XP for Windows and Office 2001/Office X for the Mac (OS9 and OS
X). Any ideas?

Thanks much
Dave