Max

Maybe take a look at a sample file with the implemented construct? :
http://www.savefile.com/files/9609633
File: Automating_an_array_jaimetimbrell_misc.xls

.. what ctrl shift enter does or when/how to do it?

Pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
is a special way of entering array formulas
(after we have pasted the formula into the formula bar)

For normal formulas, we just press ENTER to confirm the entry,
but for array formulas we need to press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
(Hold down the CTRL + SHIFT keys, press ENTER)

If correctly done, Excel will then insert curly braces { }
around the array formula

For e.g. in L2 in the sample file, if you look closely,
the formula appears in the formula bar as:
{=MAX(IF($K$2:$K$16=ROWS($A$1:A1),$J$2:$J$16))}

Don't worry about the "A$1:A1" etc for now

Hope the above and the sample file helps ..
--
Rgds
Max
wrote in message
news:jaimetimbrell.1tnbsl_1123841191.875@excelforu m-nospam.com...

Max,

I am sorry but I am obviously being a bit dim. It didnt work but then
that is probably how I have adapted your advice.

I dont know what the $A$1:A1 refers to or what ctrl shift enter does
or when/how to do it?

I think I need a beginners class!

JAime.

--