Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Keith Keith is offline

Default Problem with named ranges

Peter,

Your solution worked perfectly.

Thanks very much. I was really stuck on this one.

Keith

"Peter T" wrote:

Forgot to reduce count & row height by 1 to exclude the header row

=OFFSET(Lists!$A$1,1,0,COUNTA(Lists!$A:$A)-1,2)

Peter T

but if the entry to be removed is the very first row
of the named range then I get a #Ref error in the ranges definition.

By 'very first row' I assume you mean to A2, first row below the header in
A1

Your offset is relative to A2 so if you 'move' another cell to A2, the A2

in
the original formula no longer exists. To demonstrate try this -

=$A$2
now drag a cell to A2, I expect the formula will now return #REF!

Try amending your Offset -
=OFFSET(Lists!$A$1,1,0,COUNTA(Lists!$A:$A),2)

Regards,
Peter T

"Keith" wrote in message
I have two named ranges. The first is a list of hospitals and is in

Column
A, it is used as a validation list for a column on another sheet.

The second is Column A again along with Column B (which contains the

City
the hospital is in). It is used so that when the user selects the

correct
hospital the City is automatically input using the vlookup function.

This works great.

I also have a button on the worksheet with the named ranges that sorts

the
lists alphabetically.

The Idea is that the user can add a new hospital to the bottom of the

list
then click the button to re-sort the list. Again this works fine.

The user can also remove an entry from the list and tell Excel to move

the
cells up so there are no gaps in the list. This is where I start having
problems.

If the entry is removed from somewhere in the middle of the list for

example
then everything is fine, but if the entry to be removed is the very

first
row
of the named range then I get a #Ref error in the ranges definition.

The definition I use for the A and B range is:

=OFFSET(Lists!$A$2,0,0,COUNTA(Lists!$A:$A)-1,2)

How can I get around this problem?