MikeDH

Oh, and for the average - this is a really chintzy way to do it, and I'm sure
there are more sophisticated ways, but it's how I do it - go to your first
blank column, put 1 in the first cell and drag it down to infinity; then:
=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10="jan")*(B1:B10))/SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10="jan")*(C1:C10))

"MikeDH" wrote:

Jeremy

try this, assuming your tonnages are in column B:
=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10="jan")*(B1:B10))

"jeremy via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

I need some help with a formula:

I have a list of weights and the dates they were received. i need to find
the total tonnage for each month....and the average for each month. i.e. sum
all the weights that were received in jan, then feb, etc.....

I'm not sure where to start, but something like this?...

=sum B1:B10 if A1:A10 is "jan" or "01"
=sum B1:B10 if A1:A10 is "feb" or "02"
....etc..

Doesn that make any sense?