Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Goofy Goofy is offline

Default Object Variable Not Set

Thanks Dave

I'd already gotten to this one, but thanks for replying

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Untested:

rangeName is already a range. So don't wrap it in range(rangename).

lookupRange = Range(rangeName).Cells(rowIndex, col)
becomes
lookupRange = rangeName.Cells(rowIndex, col)

Goofy wrote:

I am getting and error as shown ' Object Variable Not Set' But I have a
valid range as I can see its properties in the watch window, 'key' is the
value I am searching for and this is alos valid. I know I have the right
range as It has the right number of cells in the cell count.

Any Ideas ?

Public Function lookupRange(ByRef rangeName As Range, key As Variant, col
As
Presets) As Variant

Dim rowIndex As Integer
Dim myStr As String
Dim OpenBrktPos As Long
Dim CloseBrktPos As Long
Dim startRange As Range

Set startRange = rangeName.Cells(1, 1)

' ***** LINE BELOW CAUSES THE ERROR *********
myStr = rangeName.Find(what:=key,
SearchOrder:=xlByColumns).Address(False, False, xlR1C1, False,
startRange)

OpenBrktPos = InStr(1, myStr, "[", vbTextCompare)
CloseBrktPos = InStr(1, myStr, "]", vbTextCompare)
rowIndex = CInt(Mid(Left(myStr, CloseBrktPos - 1), OpenBrktPos + 1))
+ 1

lookupRange = Range(rangeName).Cells(rowIndex, col)

End Function

--

Dave Peterson