Jon Peltier

This all becomes much more complicated if you need to use workdays
instead of all days. Workdays isn't an easy linear scale of dates
anymore. You need to convert the start and end dates to a number of
workdays from a reference point, then realize your "date" axis is really
just an elapsed workdays axis.

Use a technique like this, with your monday dates as labels and the
elapsed workdays for each Monday as X values of the dummy axis series:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html

To easily whip off the Mondays, place your first date in a cell, under
it write a formula incrementing this by 7 (7 days per week), and drag it
down as far as you need.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

centerNegative wrote:

Jon,

What I haven't been able to do from the get-go is even place the date
values on any category axis and produce a working chart, so I still
don't even understand the principle behind getting that working.

What I'd really like to know, is I've reviewed your tutorial he
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttChart.html and I am wondering
if along the bottom axis there is a way to reflect weekly
(workday-only) values.

I can get this to work by creating a dummy series and labeling it along
the bottom but the problem I am having is getting the chart to
distinguish from actual calendar days and and my working formulas which
are based on only workdays (by way of the WORKDAY and NETWORKDAYS
worksheet formulas). So, once I create gridlines at major intervals of
5, the actual dummy series messes things up and gets off scale because
it's tracking from a series that uses every calendar Monday, which it's
still referencing as 7 intervals apart.

The only way around this I've found is manually typing in text values
for each Monday. When I need to label 35 Mondays, though, this just
isn't a quickly feasible or realistic solution. Also, it doesn't solve
the problem of the chart bars being off from one another because of
referencing a duration based on workdays onto an axis computing
calendar days.