Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Fibonacci Fibonacci is offline

Default Regressive Logarithmic Retail Markup

Jim Cone wrote:
For an arithmetic approach...

In B9:D12 enter the column titles and the initial numbers...
Cost Markup Price
$1.00 6.00 $6.00
$2.00 5.00 $10.00
$3.00 4.00 $12.00

In A10 enter "= 2/47"
In B13 enter "4"
In C13 enter "=C12-$A$10"
In D13 enter "=C13*B13"
Format the cells.

Fill B13:D13 down to row 59
------------
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

Thanks very much Jim, that puts me on the right track.

"Fibonacci"
wrote in message Hello,
I am having a lot of trouble trying to figure out a way to formulate a
spreadsheet to automate my retail markup process. Here is what I am
trying to do:

Let's say for items costing me $1.00 I would like to have a 500%
markup. A $3.00 item, a 300% markup. By the time an item reaches a cost
of $50.00 I would like the markup to fall to around 100%.

I am guessing this would involve some kind of logarithmic function, I
am not sure.

I would like to have a spreadsheet that allows me to adjust the
properties of this regressive curve by adjusting 1 or 2 cells and but
adjusting them arrive at a curve that I like.
Could anyone offer a solution to my problem? It would be most
appreciated.
Best Regards,
Fibonacci