Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Richard Buttrey Richard Buttrey is offline

Default Reason for increased size of workbook

We have a multi sheet workbook of circa 37 Mb which we've been using
succesfully for a couple of years or so. The main sheet in the WB
covers almost all the 256 columns and about 1800 rows, with a mixture
of formulae and hard coded values.

Recently, and because we needed to extend the data to cover more
business periods, and not having sufficient room on the main sheet, I
decided to rethink the organisation of the data.

Many of the columns were intermediate working columns supporting their
particular period's summary values, so I decided to write a UDF to
eliminate the working columns and freeing up room for more periods.

I now find the workbook is around 47 Mb, which is not a particular
problem, but I'd like to know why. Is it normal for columns of UDFs to
take more room than columns of standard Excel functions (like
If(etc..etc)?

It also takes slightly longer to calculate, but I sort of expected
that since presumably there is an overhead when the UDF calls the VBE.

Can anyone offer a comment on why the Wb takes up about 30% more
space?

Rgds

__
Richard Buttrey