Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
David F Cox David F Cox is offline

Default Code to concat "Jo Smith" and "Ja Smith" if there are multiple "J Smiths"

My burning question to you is why try to do this?

David Cox, just one of the many "David Cox"s

"Mike Fogleman" wrote in message
m...
the first letter that is different in the first name

Roosevelt
Rosette
'R' is not different therefore it would be eliminated
Roosevelt would be "v Smith"
Rosette would be " Smith" because all letters from Rosette appear in
Roosevelt.
Even if we skip the first letter comparison and start with the 2nd letter,
we would get only
"R Smith" for Rosette, not "Rt Smith" because Roosevelt has a "t".
The same for
Daniel Smith
Danielle Smith
Both would be only "D Smith"
My burning question to you is why try to do this?

Mike F

"Arnold" wrote in message
ps.com...
If there are names in a list that are similar, like Roosevelt Smith and
Rosette Smith, how could they be concatenated in a third column such
that the first letter that is different in the first name be used in
the combo. For instance, the names would be combined as Rv Smith and
Rt Smith. Note that Rosette only has one "o" whereas Roosevelt has
two, so code that simply counts same letter placements will not work.
So, I have a firstname field and a lastname field, and I want a third
field with the formula. Thanks much for any help ;-)
Arnold