Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim Rech Jim Rech is offline

Default Converting excel speardsheets/macro into a database system

For the meantime I have protected the cells/worksheets where possible.

That's the way to go, as I've done for over 20 years of spreadsheet
application development. If someone really wants to change your formulas
you can't stop him but so what? He'll get the wrong answers. In the
systems I've worked on where a user might legitimately want to get a
different result than the formulas calculate I give users override cells.
"Here's the result but enter a different amount over here to be carried
forward if you don't like it."

If you'd prefer a different platform than Excel you might look at Visual
Studio (Visual C# / Visual Basic). You can create user forms there and do
your calculations in code. Also, you can meld the two with a COM add-in
that gets input from a sheet, does the calcs in code and puts the results
back in the sheet. This raises the complexity a lot but you'd learn a new
skill in the process.

--
Jim