Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JLGWhiz JLGWhiz is offline

Default Looking for Software - Tick Mark add-in for Excel

If you put any kind of font in the same cell as a value, you corrupt the
data, so I assume you would be using an adjacent column; or that you are
working with a sheet (or portion thereof) that does not rely on calculation
of referenced cells.

"Johnny" wrote:

Hi all,

I'm searching the web for a pre-built add-in (free or otherwise) that
will allow me to add what I call "tick marks" to cells in an Excel
workbook, and then associated these tick marks with a comment that is
visible when printed. For example, everyone knows the most common tick
mark, the '*' (astericks) If you are reading a document and there is
an astericks, you immediately look to the bottom of the page to read
the comment the astericks is assoicated with. It's a lot like a
footnote/endnote concept. In this application, however, I need may
different "symbols" because there are many different comments and using
a '*******' for the 7th comment is just too cumbersome. I usually use
the lowercase greek alphabet when I get past a double astericks.

I work in the accounting field, and I am forever printing worksheets,
and using a red pencil to insert comments on my spreadsheets. I use a
red pencil so people know that it was me who put the comment there.
Please differentiate this use of the term "tick mark" with other uses
of this term (like in charting/graphing, tallying, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Thanks,
Johnny