Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
MikeCM MikeCM is offline

Default Custom function to search a string of text for certain values occuring within it

I tried to put it into a custom function, called "rcmf". This
function would have a single argument, eqn1, being a single cell that
contains a big whole string of text made up of a series of values,
which are separated variously within the cell by spaces, parentheses,
etc..

I have a list of values elsewhere, a range of cells called NF_Range.
The function is intended to return a total of all the TRUE answers for
each test of the string against each of the values listed in NF_range
list.

The function was looking as follows:

Public Function rcmnf(eqn1)

Dim v is Array(NF_range)

'comment: where NF_range is the name given to a range of cells
containing the values I wish to check the "aggregate boolean frequency"

of occurrence in the single cell the function points toward

For Each eqn1 In Selection

For i = LBound(v) To UBound(v)
cnt = Application.CountIf(cell, "*" & v(i) & "*")
totcnt = totcnt + cnt
Next

Next

End Function

When I say "aggregate boolean frequency" what I mean is take the first
value in NF_range and if it exists in the string on one or more
occasion(s), then count this as value 1 and move on to the next value
in NF_Range, and if that exists in the string on one or more
occasion(s), then count this as value 1 and add it to the previous
running total from the prior values checked in NF_Range, etc. etc.

I know this custom function isn't right, but I'm unsure about how to
proceed to
adapt your suggestion. Thank you for anyone providing thoughts already.

Any further thoughts? Thanks.

Mike