Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Lew[_2_] Lew[_2_] is offline

Default Programmatically preventing macros issues

I'm writing an automation project which involves extracting data from ss
we receive from a bewildering number of sources, and we're afraid of the
possibility that my app may trigger a malicious macro. I understand that
I've got to set the AutomationSecurity value to 3, but I've still got a few
questions.
First: The tools-macros-security tab has 4 values; why can I only set
the AutomationSecurity value to 1, 2 or 3 (ie only 3 possible values)?
Second: If I set AutomationSecurity to 3 and, since we plan to disable
user interaction with excel while my app is running by making excel
invisible, is there any possibility that a macro (or anything else) could
trigger a dialog requiring user input & resulting in an apparent hang? If
yes, will DisplayAlerts = false take care of this? Please bear in mind that
the only thing we're doing (as of now anyway) is pulling values out of
cells, not anything that I see as requiring interaction.
Other suggestions or things to watch out for?
TIA!

--
-Lew
The workers took the robot for Maria.