Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
PCStechnical PCStechnical is offline

Default Creating a warning window

The formula is for the total hours. They don't actualy punch in the
total hours they worked, they punch in the actual time frame they
worked (time in and time out). Then I calculate that in a formula to
get a numberic value for the number of hours that spans.

Tom Ogilvy wrote:
I don't see any use for a formula in the cell in the scenario you describe.
If there is a formula, then it is unclear why you would need any type of
validation.

The user enters two values and the third is calculated. - no disconnect.

Tom Ogilvy

"PCStechnical" wrote in message
ups.com...
it seems though the validation option only works when the user actually
inputs a number instead of a formula computing a number in the cell you
want to validate. Is that true? If it is, is there anything else that I
can do.
Tom Ogilvy wrote:
You should validate the cells where the user is making entries. You say
the
user makes 3 entries Total, Regular, Overtime.

To be absolutely sure, you would need validation in each - but the
formula
would have to restrict entry only if there were entries in the other two
as
an example - although it would be more complex.

Tom Ogilvy

"PCStechnical" wrote:

I did a test one in another worksheet that looks like this
regular hours other total
6 2 8
6 8
8 8

the demensions are columns a:c and rows 1:4

questions:
which cell do I validate?
when I tried validating in cell d3 the formula I put was (=a3+b3=c3)
and nothing popped up. Solutions?

Tom Ogilvy wrote:
You really don't need a macro for this. Look at Data=Validation and
use the
custom formula option. On the other two tabs in the dialog you can
specify
messages that pop up and so forth.

Debra Dalgleish
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

look under D and then Data Validation.
Tom Ogilvy

"PCStechnical" wrote:

I'm working on a timecard project. I want to create a popup window
(userform) when the values someone inputs on the worksheet for
their
regular hours + other hours does not equal the time interval they
inputed.

Example: I input that I worked from 8:00am to 4:00pm (8hr day). I
can
break down my hours between regular work hours and other hours
(overtime). If the employee puts in 5 regular hours and 10 other
hours
for that day, obviously that is more than the 8 hour day they
claimed
they worked.

If this scenario was true, I want a window to pop up telling them
that
their hours don't equal.

CAN I DO THAT?

PCStechnical