Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jose Contreras Jose Contreras is offline

Default generating Excel files w/ .NET? (an ASP.NET, C# web app)

Hello Stephane,

I have used very successfully both ADO.NET and Carlos Aguilar's XmlWriter
library (http://www.carlosag.net/Tools/ExcelX...r/Default.aspx) to manipulate
Excel spreadsheets. The way you describe your quandary, looks to me like
you could easily use either one just depends on your taste. Take a look at
David Hayden's article on manipulating Excel spreadsheets using ADO.NET http://davidhayden.com/blog/dave/arc...5/26/2973.aspx

Hope it helps,
Jose

"$7,500 a CPU, they seem pretty expensive"

Indeed expensive.

xlsgen : http://xlsgen.arstdesign.com

a écrit dans le message de
oups.com...
hello,

can anyone speak to some of the common or preferred methods for
building Excel .XLS files, programmatically thru the .NET framework?

i have an intranet app that needs to generate & email .xls files for
users. these are not reports, but rather more like forms. its a
pretty simple doc, two worksheets -- the first is basic info common
to all recepients. the second is a simple data table that, depending
on the recepient, contains pre-populated rows of data. there are some
blank date fields in the table for the recepient to fill in. (and
yep, after they do so and save, it will eventually get sent back to
us for parsing of the values)

i wont really get into the why's of this project, but suffice it to
say this is the workflow we need.

i had hoped i could retrieve an ADO.NET datatable of my recepient's
rows, loop thru it, and add rows/cells to an in-memory Excel doc.
then stream it out to the user or email it.

as i understand VBA was designed to do this, but i would prefer to
avoid VBA and keep it all .NET. ive found some 3rd party components
to do such a thing, but at $7,500 a CPU, they seem pretty expensive.
are there any other alternatives?

thanks!
matt