Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Workbooks.Open(URL) not working

Try moving the code from workbook_Open() to Auto_Open() (in a general module).

(Untested)

wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a workaround for the following in XL97 SR2 please?
I'm trying to open a workbook from a web download, however, the
workbook will not open if it is invoked from VBA (it is called from a
Workbook_Open event). But it will work if I simply run the code. I
can't find an explanation for this odd behaviour so I'm wondering if
there is a workaround to download a sheet from this excel workbook held
on a web site.

Sub GetDataSheet
strURL = "http://server//SpreadsheetToOpen.xls"
Set myWB = Workbooks.Open (strURL)
End Sub

(btw, there is no other code in the Workbook_Open event and the URL is
very simple with no strange characters).

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Regards,
Chris Adams

--

Dave Peterson