Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Need some general Tips and Tricks for programming !

If you must use persistent variables, maybe you can create a routine that
initializes them.

Public VariablesAreInitialized as boolean

====
Then you can use

if variablesareinitialized then
'keep going
else
call thatroutinethatinitializesthevariables
'include
'VariablesAreInitialized = true
'in that routine
end if

And make sure you force yourself to declare your variables.

Saved from an earlier post about why "option explicit" should be used.

I do it for a much more selfish reason.

If I add "Option Explicit" to the top of a module (or have the VBE do it for me
via tools|options|Editor tab|check require variable declaration), I know that
most of my typos will stop my code from compiling.

Then I don't have to spend minutes/hours looking at code like this:
ctr1 = ctrl + 1
(One is ctr-one and one is ctr-ell)
trying to find why my counter isn't incrementing.

And if I declare my variables nicely:

Dim wks as worksheet
not
dim wks as object
and not
dim wks as variant

I get to use the VBE's intellisense.

If I use "dim wks as worksheet", then I can type:
wks.
(including the dot)
and the VBE will pop up a list of all the properties and methods that I can
use. It saves time coding (for me anyway).

And one final selfish reason.

If I use a variable like:

Dim ThisIsACounterOfValidResponses as Long

I can type
Thisis
and hit ctrl-space and the VBE will either complete the variable name or give me
a list of things that start with those characters.

And by using a combination of upper and lower case letters in my variables, the
VBE will match the case found in the declaration statement.

ps. From what I've read, if you declare a variable as Integer, the modern pc
will have to spend time converting it to long. So I've stopped using "dim x as
integer". It's safer for me and quicker for the pc.

Bill Case wrote:

Hi;

While I am programming (experimenting) with VBA I have lots of crashes as I
try different things out. When a program crashes it loses all its public
setup variables and other entered data. Is there some general programing
tips to keep in mind so that I can setup my playing around so that I can
recover from a crash without having to close down the program and start up
again?

Just some general good practices tips.

I am using the MZ-tools add-on with VBE; but does anybody know of a good
Auto-complete tool I can add-on that helps complete non-VBA key words. VBE
has lots of that assistance, but I want something that helps complete my own
varibale, function and procedures names?

Regards Bill

--

Dave Peterson