Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default FormulaArray alternative for A1 reference style?

FormulaArray does not require R1C1 style addressing and if you use it, it
won't affect anything adversely.

Just to demonstrate from the immediate window:

ActiveCell.FormulaArray = "=Sum((A1:A10=B1)*(C1:C10=D1))"
? activeCell.Formula
=SUM((A1:A10=B1)*(C1:C10=D1))

ActiveCell.FormulaArray = "=Sum((R1C1:R10C1=R1C2)*(R1C3:R10C3=R1C4))"
? ActiveCell.Formula
=SUM(($A$1:$A$10=$B$1)*($C$1:$C$10=$D$1))

In both cases, the formula was array entered as desired and returned the
correct answer.

I believe this has been true at least since xl97.

Tom Ogilvy

"KR" wrote:

I've always used A1 reference style in all my code, formulas, etc. I guess
my brain is just wrapped that way.

Now I need to use VBA code to insert an array formula, because the source
ranges are changed when new data are added, and I need to reset the array
formula to the original ranges again. however, my A1 notation doesn't play
well with FormulaArray.

Is there an alternative? Or, if I use R1C1 notation for just this formula,
will that affect anything else in the workbook?

Should I set my array formulas to use named ranges instead of straight
worksheet references, and use VBA to refresh the named ranges instead?

Thanks!
Keith

--
The enclosed questions or comments are entirely mine and don't represent the
thoughts, views, or policy of my employer. Any errors or omissions are my