Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Steve E Steve E is offline

Default Summarizing data from multiple (1000s) of workbooks into one wrksh

Working with XL2003

I am trying to write a workbook_open event that will summarize data found in
9 different cells in 1000's of workbooks with identical structure. I'd like
the data to summarize into a single worksheet with 10 columns (first column
to be the file name of the workbook being summarized).

All of these workbooks reside in a single directory on our server (ex
"L:\\Quotes\") but the summary workbook will be in a different directory (ex
"M:\\Monthly Summary Report Data\" )

My Summary report structure looks like:

ColA = summarized workbook file name "fname"
ColB = fname'Quote Form'!$D$4 'Dealer Name
ColC = fname'Quote Form'!$J$2 'Project Name
ColD = fname'Quote Form'!$J$11 'sales Rep ID
ColE = fname'Quote Form'!$D$1 'Date & time file last_changed
ColF = fname'Bill of Materials'!$V$312 'USD Quote Value
ColG = fname'Bill of Materials'!$V$311 'CDN Quote Value
ColH = fname'Bill of Materials'!$V$307 'commission included as %
ColI = fname'Bill of Materials'!$V$309 'Company Gross Margin_(calculated)
ColJ = fname'Quote Form'!$D$20 'Product Group
ColK = fname'Quote Form'!$D$21 'Quote composition

These cell references all contain values derived via formulaes, I only want
to copy the value (not the formula) into my summary -- I definitely do not
want to alter in any way the original data and I don't want links to that
original data.

All of the workbooks (and the worksheets) that are being summarized are
protected with a common set of passwords (PWORD_Workbook and PWORD_Worksheet)
and are emailed to our ' email account by hundreds of
users around the country automatically whenever they save a quote done using
our quotation.xls application (Thanks to Ron De Bruin's CBO emailing code!
and all of the help I've gotten here from others that I collectively refer to
as my "Excellent Helpers")

Each time I open the summary workbook, I want it to update itself with all
of the new records rec'd since my last summary.

I've been muddling around with code from Ron's site but just don't have
enough VBA experience to figure this out. Will anyone here help?

Many thanks in advance,

Steve E