Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
NickHK[_3_] NickHK[_3_] is offline

Default Recorded macro opens, converts comma-del file and saves

Ed,
As I understand it.
Give it a test on various files with differing numbers of columns and see
what you get.

NickHK

"Ed" bl...
Thanks for the reply, Nick. If I omit the FieldInfo argument, then Excel
will automatically assign a data type to each column? So I will be
assured of getting each column, even if it varies between files?
Ed

"NickHK" wrote in message
Ed,
The FieldInfo argument is optional, so you can omit it.
That means that you cannot specify the data type of the fields, but will
have to let Excel guess.
Not sure if this would be suitable.

Otherwise you can build the array yourself before passing it, but again
you would need to the data type of each field.

NickHK

"Ed" bl...
I recorded a macro to open a text-type file (.rev extension) and then
save it as an xls workbook. It works well. But I have a question
regarding the conversion.

The macro recorded
Workbooks.OpenText Filename:=MyFile _
, Origin:=437, StartRow:=1, DataType:=xlDelimited, TextQualifier:= _
xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=False,
Semicolon:=False _
, Comma:=True, Space:=False, Other:=False, FieldInfo:=Array(Array(1,
1), _

and follows with Array(x,1) up to 69,1. I understand this is one array
for each column. But as recorded, this on ly works correctly if I have
69 (or less, I presume) columns, right? If one has more than 69
columns, am I going to miss data? Is there a better way to code this to
make sure I catch every column?

Thanks.
Ed