Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Comment bug ?

Several of my users have complained about similar problems. Comments are
formatted and then some "evil force" changes them. The following is a
technique to un-do the actions of the "evil force":

1. after formatting the comments, create and run a macro to read the
dimensions of each comment and store them in a public array.

2. create another macro to read the public array and apply the dimensions to
each comment

If the "evil force" attacks, you just run the second macro to re-establish
the dimensions of each comment. The following is an example of how to read
(or write) comment dimensions:

Sub readum()
Dim c As Comment
For Each c In ActiveSheet.Comments
x = c.Shape.Width
y = c.Shape.Height
MsgBox (x & " by " & y)
Next

Gary's Student

"ChadF" wrote:

I have a worksheet that has a number of comments scattered all over.

I'm using the default 'Edit Comment' Excel function to build them all.

I set the size manually cropping all the extraneous space so the area of the
comment is only aruond the text I want.

Thinking that I'm done, I continue doing development, modifying macros for
other sections. However, when I come back to some of the cells that I've
inserted comments for, I notice that the comment field grows, esp if after
i've 'corrected' the size of the comment field, I write a value to the cell.

Is there any way I can fix the size of the comment field so that it will
keep from doing this ? Or do I have to write a custom macro / form to handle
this ?

Thanks,
Chad