Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
[email protected] rcmail14872@yahoo.com is offline

Default parse cell contents

I plan to format the cell with a date format, which works well if the
user enters only a date, but sometimes the users may need to enter a
footnote also. The data can look like:
12/25/06 or
12-25-06 or
12/15/06 F1 or
12/15/06 F1,F2,F3,F4,F5,F6 or
12-25-2006 f1,f2

etc.

Tom Ogilvy wrote:
Please restate what is acceptable.

are you saying F and any number so that F1 symbolizes F and any single
digit number?

or are you saying the cell could actually contain all of "F1,F2,F3"

and if so, then how does that relate the 4 conditions you stated (of which
it matches none).

If it contains a date and more, will the date always be first.

Tom Ogilvy

" wrote:

I am trying to parse the contents of a specific cell to make sure that
the cell contains only a date, or the text "F1", or "f1", or both, a
date -and- "F1" or "f1".
The "F1" language can sometimes be: F1,F2,F3

I'm sorry I don't have any code to post, I haven't gotten anything to
work yet.

Thanks in advance,
RC