Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default Searching for a substring inside another string - there has to be an easier way!

On 15 Sep 2006 07:21:49 -0700, "Morris" wrote:

That's absolutely perfect!!

I didn't realize there are regular expressions in VBA - and I like it,
evn though it needs an extra reference added.

Can you point me to any good help file? Website showing the
capabilities?

Glad to help. Thanks for the feedback.

There's some stuff on the Microsoft web site with regard to the VBA flavor.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...02&Product=vbb

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...63906a7353.asp

There are some limitations compared with Perl, for example. If I recall
correctly, VBA does not implement look behind assertions.

Also, Laurent Longre has a free add-in, morefunc.xll, which can be obtained
from http://xcell05.free.fr/

Some of the functions are Regular Expression types that can be used either in a
worksheet or in VBA. The add-in is easily distributed with workbooks. It's
major limitation, which I am told is an *.xll limitation, is that the strings
can be no longer than 255 characters. (It DOES enable the look behind
assertions, however).

--ron