Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
merlin merlin is offline

Default conditional formatting

OK - halfway there.

The cell references are updating but the cell colour isn't changing.

My first cell of data (top left) is D5 so my statement reads:

=UPPER(LEFT(D5,1))="E"

"lightspeed" wrote in message
ups.com...
Conditional formatting can be done in a non-generic way. What you do
is format with Bob's code in cell A1, and then use the format painter
to copy the conditional formatting to the remaining cells below. The
A1 reference will automatically update to B1, C1, D1.... as the
formatting is painted on down.

merlin wrote:
will that work in the conditional formatting statement? I think it has to
be
generic so I'm not sure how to reference the cell it applies to in that
context.

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
How about using a formula of

=UPPER(LEFT(A1,1))="E"

etc

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"merlin" wrote in message
I had been formatting a cell colour to pink green or blue depending on
if
it
contained E, M or L.

I've now had to change my cell contents to E1, E2, E3, E4 etc instead
of
just 'E' so I've gone over my limit of 3 conditional formats.

Is there a way I can conditionally format based just on the letter E M
or
and not the number with it?

Or can you think of another way to achieve the same thing?

Much obliged for any help suggested.