Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
merlin merlin is offline

Default choosing column heading given a criteria?

Sorry - the formatting got lost. Hope it's still relativeley clear.

"merlin" wrote in message

I have a long table which goes up to 22 weeks of days. Each cell in the
table refers to a shiuft (e.g. E1 early 1, M2 mid 2 etc). The numbers at
the top of the column are actually staff (1 might be Bill, 2 might be Ted
etc)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
1 Mon E1 O O O L1 L2 L3 O O L4 L5 L6 O O M1 M2 E2 O O O E3 E4
2 Tue E2 E1 O O O L1 L2 L3 O O L4 L5 L6 O O M1 M2 E1 O O O E2
3 Wed E3 E2 E1 O O O L1 L2 L3 O O L4 L5 L6 O O M1 M2 E1 O O O

What I'm trying to achieve is filling out a second table which shows who
is doing each shift on a particular day e.g.:

E1 E2 E3 E4 M M L1 L2 L3 L4 L5 L6
MON 1 17 21 22 15 16 5 6 7 10 11 12
TUE
WED

So I'm trying to find a function that says 'return the text at the top of
the column in whichever column contains "E1" in row 1Mon" and then again
for "E2" etc and onwards for every day in 22 weeks.

It's a bit too complex for me so any help would be greatly appreciated.