Ruthki

If all values are numbers I would use a custom format to format the
number into what I wanted.

But first I think you need to change the text string to a value by
surrounding it with the Value formula so you end up with

=VALUE(LEFT(B9,LEN(B9)-1))

Then with a custom format - select Format, Cells then Custom at the
bottom of the available list. Type in 000-000-0000 in the box below
the word Type on the right hand side - this should then format your
numbers appropriately. Remember to format all the cells which will
contain your social security numbers.

Alternatively you can use a mix of Left() mid() and Right() functions
combined together with &"-"&

Ruthki
Ruthki's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24503
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=392746