Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dean[_8_] Dean[_8_] is offline

Default Custom Formatting

I think I figured it out, after learning that the first set is for positive
values, the next set is for negative vlaues.

Thanks!
Dean

"Dean" wrote in message
I am really sorry - you took me literally and I was not at all clear. I
want all values (not just negative ones) to be centered (as they typically
can be with currency formatting). I also want negative values to have
parenthesis, rather than being red font or with a negative sign, as in
common with accounting formats.

Kindly try again.

Also, can you quickly tell me how to create a new custom format in EXCEL
(I'll copy your string in the box, that much I can figure out)!

Dean

"Peter-d" wrote in message
try
_(* #,##0_);(#,##0);_(* "-"??_);_(@_)

Removing the _(* in the second block will allow negatives to be
centered.
The same can be acheived in the other blocks.

"Dean" wrote:

From viewing the default accounting and currency cell formats,
respectively, I note that the former/latter cannot/can be centered
across a (single) column and that negative values do/don't appear with
parentheses around them. Since my client wants centered values with
parentheses (if negative), I need a hybrid of these two.

The formatting currently installed seems to be like an accounting
format, so I can't center it. I'm not sure what it adds that the normal
default accounting format doesn't have, but it seems OK except that I
can't center it across a column.

In any event, can I edit this format, or modify a copy of it so as to be
able to center it across a column?

Thanks!
Dean