Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mike Fogleman Mike Fogleman is offline

Default get the current filename as a variable

Janis, I consulted with a MAC user and determined the following code will do
as you asked. It adds the time and removes the double.xls at the end. MAC
doesn't care about the /'s in the date, as Windows does, so I left those
alone. The colons in TIME had to go with either OS, so it is re-formatted
with dot separators. Finally MAC appends the file extension for you, so I
removed it from the code and let MAC do it's thing when the file is saved.

Sub SaveMe()
Dim fName As String
Dim myFileName As String
Const fPath As String = "Mac OS X:Users:jrough:Documents:"

myFileName = Left(ActiveWorkbook.Name, Len(ActiveWorkbook.Name) - 4) _
& " " & Date & " " & Format(Time, "hh.mm.ss")
fName = fPath & myFileName
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=fName
End Sub

Mike F
"Janis" wrote in message
It is really tricky. The .xls extension saves twice and I can't get it to
print the time and the date but it now compiles. Thanks,

"Mike Fogleman" wrote:

Sorry, word wrap cut my long line

Sub SaveMe()
Dim fName As String
Dim myFileName As String
Const fPath As String = "Mac OS X:Users:jrough:Documents:"

myFileName = Left(ActiveWorkbook.Name, Len(ActiveWorkbook.Name) - 4) _
& " " & Date & ".xls"
fName = fPath & myFileName
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=fName

End Sub

Mike F
"Janis" wrote in message
The myFileName line does not compile. What I want to do here is save
the
current filename with the date appended. I am trying to put the
current
filename into the Sub
tnx,
saveIndesign()
'Appends date to filename so as to not write over an existing file

Const fPath As String = "Mac OS X:Users:jrough:Documents"
Dim fName As String
Dim myFileName As String
myFileName = ActiveWorkbook.Filename
fName = fPath & myFileName & Time()