thomasstyron

Hello All:

Let me try to address these posts the best I can.

First, BenjieLop: I think you got my initial post and my follow-up with
Paul mixed up. Paste this into cell A10:
=IF(A1*A2*A3*A4*A5*A6*A7*A8*A9=0,"",SUM(A1:A9))
This is the same equation that I am using, but easier to follow as it
is in the first column. Now, just start typing numbers into cells A1 to
A9. This should compute a sum in A10. Now delete, say cell A5. Cell A10
is now blank. When I tried Paul's solution, it computed a final value
even if a cell was empty. His solution was essentially saying, cell, if
the product of these cells are zero, then the cell that the equation is
in is zero. I was actually explaining on how my equation worked. It
actually does work, I was just trying to condense it up and maybe learn
a shortcut.

I got where my formula is by this response from Gary's Student:
http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?t=391561
I just added more cells to widen the range of if what equal zero then
show blank.

Bruce: That is pretty neat. I actually may end up incorporating it into
my stuff. But for now, I am still looking for a shortcut for the
underlined:

=IF(_C8*C9*C9*C10*C11*C12*C13*C14*C15_=0,"",SUM(C8 :C15))
Again in SUM(C8:C15) we are saying add all of these cells (C8+C9+..C15)
up. I want to condense "if C8 or C9 or C10 or..C15 are zero...

Dave: I think you got it! Not exactly how I envisioned it, but it is
essentially doing what I want. Let me try to get this straight though:
the equation is saying if any of the cells between C8 and C15 are
missing (and you specify the number of cells is exactly 8 by <8), then
show a blank in the equation's cell. If, on the other hand, all values
are present, then gimme' a summation.

And finally Bruce (again): I tried Dave’s solution and when I deleted
the value for, say cell C9, C16 actually became blank. Pay dirt! And
you are right; there will never be an instance where the value of any
one of the cells is zero. They are circumferential measurements of
certain body parts (arms, thighs, abdomen, etc.) and so if there is a
zero that means there is no body part. Gulp! If the user physically
insert’s a zero rather than leaving it blank- that is ok I guess. I
just didn’t want the user to leave a cell blank.

And again, I may use your solution when I get all of the bugs out of my
current problems.

Whew. You guys are sure smart and helpful. I do appreciate all of the
help.

Best regards,
Thomas

--