Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default Simple String Question

You are certainly declaring it as a string, but it is the next line that is
wrong, it should be

Import = DDEInitiate("RSLinx", DDETopic)

otherwise you are passing the string value DDETopic, not the value of the
variable DDETopic.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"pete3589" wrote in
message ...

I have a VBA application that needs to look at a certain cell in order
to identify the topic for DDE communications. I think I am somehow not
declaring my string properly.

Dim Array1 As Integer
Dim Row As Integer
Dim AnInput As Integer
Dim DDETopic As String

DDETopic = Worksheets("Set Points").Range("L4").Value

Import = DDEInitiate("RSLinx", "DDETopic")

Where DDE Topic is the value in cell L4 of sheet "Set Points". When I
run the macro it gives me an error that says RSLinx isnt running.
However, if i just put the correct topic name in place of DDETopic
everything works fine. Am I declaring the string DDETopic correctly?

--
pete3589
pete3589's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=574163