Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Kaziglu Bey[_5_] Kaziglu Bey[_5_] is offline

Default Count different values in a column

I think I stated it wrong.

In my example, I wish to find a method of only displaying each valu
from column A into column B one time. Thus I would be able to coun
each row and determine the number of different values that appear i
column A.

Basically, I have a 23,000+ row spreadsheet.

One of the columns has numerous values within it; however, many o
those values (like, most) are redundant and appear numerous times.

Using the CountIf formula will tell me how many times each valu
appears in the column, but does nothing to help me determine how man
different values exist overall.

The complete end result I am looking for is to copy the column o
differing values into column A of a new spreadsheet. Then I fil
column B with one of each value from column A (so as to count tota
different values). After which I would have the total number of time
each value appears in column A shown in column C. I then would be abl
to organize the data based on frequency to be able to work with dat
that has the highest frequency first.

Bob Phillips Wrote:
=COUNTIF(A:A,B1)

in column C

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct

--
Kaziglu Be
Kaziglu Bey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3608