Gus

Default vlookup on large text in cells

Any help with the following would be greatly appreciated -
I'm trying to do a vlookup whereby the cell that contains the data to be
searched and the column that will be searched, contain large amounts of text.
Having realised large amounts of text seem to be the problem (as vlookup
returned correct answers when cells had < 200 characters in them) I tried to
use a formular to lookup only the first 100 characters in the cells:

=VLOOKUP(LEFT(B1,200)&"*",'[Regs2.xls]Agr-Tra'!E4:N1800,3,0)

This formular returned the wrong data for the cells with < 200 characters
and #N/As for the cells with 200 characters.

Is it therefore possible to do a vlookup on a large amount of text contained
within both the column to be searched and cell to be matched?

Many thanks in advance for any help.
Gus