Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
dan dan is offline

Default Looking up a value and returning another

It wasn't the test2 that was the issue. I remove the quotes and the function
worked.

How do I set up the value to look up, per the example below "2C0h" to a cell
in the workbook?

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

Same as last time. Subscript out of range means you don't have a sheet with
that name. You may think you do, but the tab name must have a space in it
or something else that makes it different from "test2". Why do you get an
error - you tell it to look in a location that doesn't exist.

Tom Ogilvy

"Dan" wrote in message
Tried a few things and this is what I get:

Dim ans As String
Dim ans2 As String

'This works
ans = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup("2C0h", Range("R5:S1500"), 2,
_
False)
MsgBox ans

ans2 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup("2C0h", Worksheets("Test2") _
.Range("R5:S1500"), 2, False)
MsgBox ans2

Run-time error '9': Subscript out of range

Why does adding the sheet name cause a failure? Need to add this since I
want to expand the function to lookup in another workbook and worksheet.

"Franz Verga" wrote:

Dan wrote:
Have a value in one sheet (obtained by importing a text file) and
want to look up the value (value will start in C7 and continue down
column C) in another workbook (B6:B2000). Once I find that value I
then need to return a value 2 columns over in the same row (D6:D2000).

Here is what I have:
DataFileName = Application.GetOpenFilename(fileFilter:="Text or ASC
Files, *.txt; *.asc", Title:="Select the Data File")
Open DataFileName For Input As #FileNum

VMM_FileName = Application.GetOpenFilename(fileFilter:="DBF Files,
*.dbf", Title:="Select the VMM File")
Workbooks.OpenText Filename:=VMM_FileName

VMM_Workbook = ActiveWorkbook
Workbooks.Add template:=xlWorksheet
Set Data_Workbook = ActiveWorkbook

... code here for importing text file

Have tried Match, Find, Index, ... can not get any to work. Need help
to find the answer.

Hi Dan,

try with VLOOKUP... You can use this way:

Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Arg1,Arg2,Ar g3,[Arg4])

where you have to specify Arg1,Arg2,Arg3 and Arg4 as it was on a
worksheet...

--
Hope I helped you.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.