Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
David Sisson[_2_] David Sisson[_2_] is offline

Default Determine file type

I have written a rather large macro that takes data from three other
sites and, along with our own data, compile it into a massive table.
The macro works fine. (It cuts the job from about three days, down to
about 3 hours.)

But the problem I'm having is that the people who submit the report
can't send it to me in the same format in any given month. (I know, I
should be able to simply tell them what I want, but I'm not getting any
cooperation from their managers.) I have to sit down and either tweak
the data or the macro so the data can be processed. It has the right
information, but columns may be out of order, include additional
information I don't need. And, I might get a Excel file, or a Word
file or a text file.

So, I've decided to try and write a Data Cleaner to set the data in the
order the Macro needs. So my question is, can I differenciate between
Excel and Word files. Is there something in the header that I can use
to load the correct object?

Thanks in advance!