Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Die_Another_Day Die_Another_Day is offline

Default Import Data Macro

Try this for getting the file name
Sub GetFile()
Dim File1 As String

With Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFilePicker)
.AllowMultiSelect = False
.Filters.Clear
.Filters.Add "Text Files", "*.txt"
.Title = "Please Select Text File to Import"
If .Show Then
File1 = .SelectedItems(1)
MsgBox File1
Else
MsgBox "User Clicked Cancel"
End If
End With
End Sub

then in the activesheet.querytables.add, connection = File1

Charles Chickering

Miasha wrote:
I am working on creating a macro that takes text data and import it into an
existing worksheet. To do this, I normally using the Import Data wizard.
Since I do this several times a day, I am trying to create a macro that will
allow me to select the text file and select a cell placement for the data
once the text files is created. I have most of the code created, but cannot
get it to pause at the file open dialog box or the cell range box. Are there
specific codes I need to use to get this macro to do this? files into Excel
from Word several times a day.

With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:="Text Files (*.txt), *.txt", _
Destination:=Range("A2"))
.Name = "subcount"
.FieldNames = True
.RowNumbers = False
.FillAdjacentFormulas = False
.PreserveFormatting = True
.RefreshOnFileOpen = False
.RefreshStyle = xlInsertDeleteCells
.SavePassword = False
.SaveData = True
.AdjustColumnWidth = True
.RefreshPeriod = 0
.TextFilePromptOnRefresh = False
.TextFilePlatform = 437
.TextFileStartRow = 1
.TextFileParseType = xlDelimited
.TextFileTextQualifier = xlTextQualifierNone
.TextFileConsecutiveDelimiter = False
.TextFileTabDelimiter = False
.TextFileSemicolonDelimiter = False
.TextFileCommaDelimiter = False
.TextFileSpaceDelimiter = False
.TextFileOtherDelimiter = "|"
.TextFileColumnDataTypes = Array(1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1,
1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, _
1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)
.TextFileTrailingMinusNumbers = True
.Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False
End With
End Sub