Doug Kanter

I stand corrected! This is one I hadn't seen.

"Ragdyer" wrote in message
<<<"I've never seen Excel format a cell as text without human
assistance"

Depends on what you consider "human assistance".

New sheet
Format A1 to Text.
In A6, enter:
=SUM(A1:A5)

Notice ... the zero is left justified.
Format of A6 is NOW Text !

Enter numbers in A1:A5, and return total of A2:A5.
A6 is STILL Text!

But, since the formula *IS* working (not displayed in the cell as a text
string), and the contents of A6 equate to True to Isnumber(), then A6
*HAD*
to be General at the time of formula entry, BUT changed after referencing
(duplicating the format of the *first* cell) the range.
Try it with $'s or %'s.

Now, I would consider that "without human assistance".<bg

RD

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I've never seen Excel format a cell as text without human assistance.

Could
you spreadsheet have been a victim of slippery fingers, perhaps before
enough cups of coffee in the morning?

"?????" wrote in message
the values we 200 135 360 80 350 350
and the summay was: 1140
the first two values were not included in the Sum.
reuven

"Gary's Student" wrote:

What are the specific values that are being miss-calculated?
--
Gary's Student

"?????" wrote:

I'm using excel for years but today I was shocked. almost died.
While summarizing a column of numbers, the summary was incorrect.
I suspected that few cells contained text rather than numbers so I
multiplied every cell in the column and got the correct number.
So I assume that sometimes excel ignores cells and sometimes

considers
them.
What if the numbers are significant amounts of money? How can I rely

on
excel?
I will be happy to send this little sheet to you.
do i have to crosscheck every spreadsheet i use?
reuven