Barb Reinhardt

If it were me, I'd set up several pieces to get the function you want.

1) Do the lookup to get the "date" you want.
2) In another cell (I say this because it keeps me organized), create the if
statement you want to compare dates.

Once you get the pieces to work, copy the VLOOKUP section into the IF
function. If this is as clear as mud, let me know.

"dazman" wrote in
message ...

Hi,

I wonder if it is possible to use a Vlookup in conjunction with some
logical expressions to not just match a specified value, but also
return a value in the specified column if it is equal to or greater
than a value?

I have a main worksheet that looks like this:

A B C
Date Price Shares Owned
06/08/2005 59.11
05/08/2005 59.11
04/08/2005 58.9

I then have another worksheet that details dates when purchase
transactions took place:

A B C D E
Ref Purchase Date No Shares Price Per Share Total Shares
144 25/04/2005 50 53.3 50
145 27/05/2005 25 54.94 75
146 29/06/2005 25 56.37 100

In my main worksheet, for each 'Shares Owned' Cell I would like to be
able to perform a lookup against the purchase date and return the value
in column E if the date is equal to or greater than the purchase date.

Any help would be appreciated!

--
dazman
dazman's Profile: