Hank Scorpio

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 08:18:06 -0500, rgarber50
wrote:

Hank
I really appreciate your time and thoughtful suggestions.

You're welcome...

[Snip]

One more thing - do you see any reason to keep all the data on a
separate workbook? I only think of this because if i were to update
the form or programming then it strikes me as easier to just replace
this front end workbook.

I don't really think so; you'd add the extra complication of having to
ensure that both the front end workbook and the back end data workbook
were open when the user's doing data entry (which, granted, could be
automated easily enough), and you wouldn't save any speed in loading.

What you have in mind could also be achieved by making sure (as far as
is possible[1]) that all of the relevant data entry code was contained
un the User Form code module rather than in .bas modules. If you can
put ALL of the code in that module, you end up with an "encapsulated"
front end which can be easily swapped in and out of the workbook by
simply deleting the old user form, and importing the new one.

If you still choose to use a worksheet rather than a user form as your
front end, you can achieve the same result by having all of the code
in the sheet's module. Either way, it keeps your front end
encapsulated and easily updatable.

([1] There are very few things that can't be done by code in the class
module as opposed to a standard (.bas) module. Off the top of my head
the only one I can think of is when you need to create a callback
function for an API call, but you probably won't be getting that
complex.)

Thanks again for your help - I really enjoy learning about programming
and you helped me get a new concept (that i can think relationally in
excel).

Enjoy!

Hank Scorpio
scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
* Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *