Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
NickHK NickHK is offline

Default Checking files for write-access

Assuming this is some text file rather than an Excel file, check out the
Open statement in VBA help and the lock argument.
Trap the error if "Lock Write" fails.

NickHK

"F*SH" wrote in message

Hiya

I've got an application which is having some trouble because it keeps
trying to open a file to read that's still being used by another
application. In short, I have program A that writes a file and then my
script B that tries to read it. The problem is, all B does at the
moment is looks to see if it's there, not whether or not A is finished
writing to it. So B, when it sees the file, attempts to open it, and if
A is still running, B will break.

So what I'm looking for is some way to determine if a file is not only
existing, but also is ready for interactions with. I want it to check
that a file isn't being used by another application.

I imagine there's a method for it, but I can't see it anywhere.

I'm using VBA 6.3

Cheers!

--
F*SH