Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Zero value

Enter it as
'0645

using a leading single quote.

this will not show the single quote and will store the number as a string
including the leading zero.

=Left(A1,2)*2

Tom Ogilvy

"chequer" wrote in
message ...

Is there a way to get Excel to recognise a leading zero as a digit.
Ie. Enter the number 0645 and multiply the first digits, 06, by a given
number.
IE.. ( 06 * 2 ) = 12

The only way I can do it, is to, Format column *A* as 0000, then enter
0645 at *A1* and at *B1* the formula [ *=MID(A1+10000000,3,2)*2* ]

I know I could just enter the number as 645 and the formula,
*=Left(A1,1)*2*, but I have a need to enter it with a leading zero.

--
chequer

Old battler
chequer's Profile: