Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ed Ed is offline

Default Writing A Search Macro With Wildcard Characters?

Thanks, Nick. I had been looking at that when it first started, but didn't
continue, but there's some good stuff in there.

Ed

"NickHK" wrote in message
Maybe the recent thread "wildcard" in this NG will help.

NickHK

"Ed" wrote in message
Kevin:

For the first part, use the macro recorder to record the process of using
Find, with Options set as preferred (do not check "Match entire cell
contents"). By looking at that code, you'll have a good idea of how to
construct your search using the return from your textbox as the text

string.

When the user types in a
particular word, found in a list on another sheet, I would like the
attached macro to return all of the closest matches.

That part could be rough! It's going to depend on how you want to define
"closest match". What's close to "poetry"?
Loetry
Poerty
Powtry
Peotry
Potry
Petry

How many permutations are you wanting to go through for a "closest

match"??

If you've got a list that must be matched, what about giving the users a
drop-down?

Ed

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks very much for the help Ed. I think I would like to explore your
advice on using range.find...I'm just not sure how to go about doing
that. Like I said, I am still in the learning process and that is one
area of VBA that I haven't explored. Unfortunately, I don't find the
help files found in excel and vba very helpful.
Could anyone please try to advise me on using range.find to accomplish
what I'm trying to accomplish?
Here is what I would like to do(the simplified version). I have a
textbox and a command button on a worksheet. When the user types in a
particular word, found in a list on another sheet, I would like the
attached macro to return all of the closest matches. So if the user
typed in poetry, and accidently spelled it wrong, when they click the
"search" command button it will check the list where the entry is
supposed to be contained and find one or more matches that are close.
This will then be populated into a listbox that they can choose from.

I would be very elated if I could get this to work. Thank you
Kevin