Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Excel 2000 58 character Filename Limit?

One of the few times I've seen that disconnected from client message was when I
closed the wrong workbook and tried to do something with the variable that
represented that closed workbook. (It was a simple typo.)

Maybe you can review your code once more???

NickH wrote:

Thanks for your interest Dave.

I can't post the actual filename as it contains customer sensitive
information but it is in the following format...

123456 A Long Customer Name IT Project Name Weekly Report 060720.xls

The VBA code first tries to save the original file with "OLD_" prefixed
to the original name and then saves the upgraded version using the
original name. It crashes with an automation error (The object invoked
has disconnected from its clients) at the first save then comes up with
the 'Send Error Report' dialog followed by a memory reference error. If
I comment out the first save the same thing happens at the second save.

Exactly the same thing happened (every time) if I tried to save
manually using the same names. I use the past tense because when I come
to test the behaviour now, manual saves seem to work fine. The only
thing that's different really is that I've closed Outlook.

Very strange.

I'll get chance to test on more machines in the office on Thursday. If
I'm lucky it may just be my machine.

NickH

--

Dave Peterson