Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
dzuy dzuy is offline

Default Using VLOOKUP without a sorted list

Hello,

I have a worksheet containing a list of parts with two different part
numbers assigned to each (sorted by the first part number). I have another
worksheet with a partial list of the second type of part number. I want to
fill the column next to it with it's corresponding part number.

Here are the problems with the functions embedded in Excel:
1. VLOOKUP can only lookup lists only if they're sorted in ascending order
in the first column.
2. LOOKUP doesn't have the option to give 'exact' results.

Here's a simplified example of my dilemma:

--SHEET 1--
Alias 1 Alias 2
1 B
2 A
3 C
4 D
5 E

--SHEET 2--

Alias 1 Alias 2
??? D
??? E

Please note that for this example, LOOKUP will work just fine. But in my
actual case, Alias 1 and/or 2 part numbers can be missing.

Do I need to resort to writing a macro for this? Or can I work with the
tools Excel has provided for me to accomplish this?

Thanks!